Thursday, 28 June 2012

My Reading Habits

This meme is from November's Autumn, who got it from A Room of one's Own.


Do you snack while you read? If so, favourite reading snack:
Usually it's potato crisps or shortbread cookies. Something dry.

What is your favourite drink while reading?
Water or something cold.


Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?
I never write in my novels. I know it's personal and all that, but I like my books in a tolerable condition :)


How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book flat open? I used to dog-ear but not now. If I have a bookmark at hand I'll use it, if not I lay it down. Most of the time I take note of the chapter and just look for it again.


Fiction, non-fiction, or both?
I love novels! Well, far more than most non-fiction :P But recently I've found biographies of authors can be just as good if not more absorbing. But don't expect me to read history or economics!

Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere?
I prefer to end at the chapter, but being busy I stop anywhere.


Are you the type of person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you?
No. My wrath is reserved for my pen and table.


If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away?
Hardly ever. This leads to misunderstandings, but it's taught me to understand things in context and think for myself.


What are you currently reading?
Tennyson by Christopher Ricks, a biography-cum-analysis of his poems. Also John Clare's biography by Jonathan Bates and Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy.



What is the last book you bought?
John Clare by Jonathan Bate. As the cashier wrapped up my book he looked at it longingly and said "That's a good book." I rather suspect he'd been reading it for free in the store. I actually felt sorry at the moment for depriving him. :(
Also, the day before, Howards End by E.M. Forster.

Do you have a favourite time/place to read?
I like reading in the evening and night at home. Snuggled up in bed especially. It helps me to sleep. Most of the time, nowadays, I go to the bookstore to read in the evening.

Do you prefer series books or stand alones?
I used to love series because you got to know the characters. But generally the best novels are stand alones. Authors who wish to explore certain characters and themes generally put it all in one novel. (Note that much silly fiction comes in trilogies!)



Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over?
Villette by Charlotte Brontë, Shirley by the same, Thomas Hardy, Wives and Daughters, Anthony Trollope, Terry Pratchett, George Eliot, KEATS KEATS KEATS. Yes, I'm a Keats fangirl :) And you may have noted almost all of them are Victorian.


How do you organize your books? (by genre, title, author’s last name, etc.)
At home I organise them into classics, Agatha Christie, Harry Potter, Diana Wynne Jones, and Enid Blyton, in separate rows. For the classics, they are arranged by the authors name in alphabetical order. Now I'm at university I tend to put my favourite books on the small shelf, the rest in a large shoebox, not arranged in any particular order. Almost all on the shelf are classics or biographies though :)

1 comment:

  1. Keats is my author crush!

    P.S. I absolutely love that you've adopted Caroline Helstone as your blog name. Glad to see another reader who appreciates Shirley. :)

    ReplyDelete