Sunday, 20 May 2012

Illustrations from 1922 edition of Villette, J.M. Dent & Co.




I ordered this copy from Amazon (with coloured plates by Edmund Dulac) for I love collecting these old things. Couldn't find the whole set on the internet so I decided to upload. Enjoy! I don't have a scanner, being a student who has to move around light, so I took photos with my camera.
I wish I did know whom!
She would sit on a stool all day at that lady's feet all day long  
Throughout the afternoon I remained on deck alone 

Groups of Ladies and gentlemen in evening-dress stood and walked amongst the flowers
That lady actually came out in a fiacre as far as the chateau 



"Fasten on me, and don't leave go."

I stood about three yards from a tall, sable-robed, snowy-veiled woman 
And she showed with pride her splendid nosegay 
"Que me voulez-vous?" said she hoarsely.

She had brought in her hand the letter just written.

"I call here," said he.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing these, Caroline! I've seen a cropped version of the first one (have it in one of my posts) but its so nice to know who the artist was and to see the illustrations that went with it! What a gem of an edition. :)

    ReplyDelete