Saturday, 10 March 2012

Some sorcery pictures by Waterhouse

Was thinking of writing yet another extension to my changeable story (yes, I do write fiction for my own amusement). I won't go into the plot, because it's not yet fully developed and it'll probably change again, but it is about the development of two characters, childhood friends, who become trained in the dying arts of Magick. So when I found this painting by Waterhouse I was excited, thinking it would depict the mood quite well. (The story is influenced by Keats' Grecian poems).

John Waterhouse was a painter influenced by the Pre-Raphaelites in the mid-19th century, though his output was in the late Victorian and early Edwardian eras.

Now this picture is striking. Makes me think of a magician or goddess summoning some mighty force.
Circe Invidiosa
Oh my. It's about a jealous sorceress who takes revenge upon an innocent man for spurning her. The Victorians were fond of painting and writing about Greek mythology, even Keats borrowed heavily, and it was not uncommon for well-educated poets to write poems based on the ancient Greek styles.

No comments:

Post a Comment